Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Thanks

Thanks for the words of support. I plan on continuing the blog, if only because it is a good means of letting off some steam. And boy, do I have some steam built up lately.

On a lighter note, I face my first encounter with standardized patients next week. This includes the full female breast/pelvic exam and male rectal/GU exam. These standardized patients are people who receive special trainnig regarding the speificds of the exam and they then teach the students and guide them through the exam. I often put myself in other's shoes in order to gain a portion of their perspective, but I can't fathom why any "normal" or "average" person would want to do this? I understand they contribute a great deal to medical education and are an invaluable resource, but from a person-to-person interaction standpoint this seems extremely strange to me. I've heard that prostitutes are commonly used - they would seem to be the best fit for something like this - but I also know that there are just as many people, if not a lot more that are not prostitutes or the like. I'd like to know what motivates these people and what they really think about they are doing. Ideas?

5 comments:

Gregory House, PA-C said...

The money? Getting rejected by their community theatre? Closet cases that desperate to get their ass probed?

Anonymous said...

My vote: It's 50% money, 35% lack of personal boundaries, 15% for the good of medicine.

These percentages vary.

Anonymous said...

free money

Anonymous said...

I'm am incredibly disappointed by the way you portray women who are willing to be standardized patients. Your school failed you horribly in this sense. Please find and read the essay "Spreading My Legs for Womankind" by Molly Kenefick.

-p- said...

OK. I portrayed them as possibly being prostitutes and more likely not. I portrayed them as being invaluable. I portrayed them as having interesting interpersonal boundaries and expressed my curiosity as to their choices. I will read the essay if I can find it. It will of course only address one person's point of view. I am sure their are just as many reasons as there are standardized patients.