Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pratice on my classmates?!

So for our history and physical class we have to practice almost all physical exam techniques on each other. That of course means that one must also be the patient. It is a little weird for me to see my classmates at various, albeit not necessarily inappropriate, levels of undress and to palpate their abdomens and percuss their backs etc. We have standardized patients for the DRE and pelvic exams, but we are expected to practice frequently on each other for all the other examinations. Not something you think of - I am not even sure it is common across programs - but as much as I'd prefer not to be shirtless for an hour in front of my classmates, I understand its necessity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You get used to it. I think pretty much every program is that way. Yeah, it's awkward at first, but give it a few times and it isn't so bad... at least that's how I feel. Good luck!

(You're not on my mini rounds post because I literally just found your page.)