Saturday, September 18, 2010

Ohhh say can you "C" ?....PA-C that is!

This is the biggest feeling of accomplishment I've felt in a long time. I passed the PANCE and am now a certified PA. I did OK on it...sorta average but the main thing is that I passed. I am now having my license application processed so I should be really official in a couple weeks.

The job hunt on the other hand has been rough. I haven't heard back from the last interview I had a couple weeks ago and I am assuming I did not get the job. It was part-time which was the major draw back but the cool thing was that it was part of a family practice residency so I would have had the opportunity to learn a lot more on the job and have a preceptor to go to with questions rather than having to pull my supervising physician out of an exam room or away from charting to ask them a question. Not too many places around here want to hire a new grad, and here I thought getting a job would be one of my lesser worries!

Here's a run down of post-graduation expenses incurred over the last month through this month:

Review course: $700
Airfare: $200
Hotel: $730
Food: $100

PANCE test: $475

State licensing fee: $300

DEA license: $551

My credit card balances are climbing and my credit score is sinking. My school loans must have just hit my credit report cause my score took a 30 point hit.

I keep telling myself I am not in this for the money, but the debt really stinks.

Anyway, here's to me being a PA-C! Cheers!

3 comments:

Morning-Rounds said...

Congrats man!! I'm feeling the money hit too... it's weird knowing that you are a professional that can make a really descent wage. But still have to live like a poor college kid. What's worse - a poor college kid that can't get anymore loans! :-)

Hang in there. I am sure something will come up. Did you try calling about that interview? Sometimes following up can help your chances. Good luck!

Phillysfinest said...

Congrats and cheers! Hang in there, I'm sure you'll land a job soon enough!

Unknown said...

Congrats on everything!! What questions do they ask for on the PANCE exam application form??