Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mental Health Rotation

This week I started my mental health rotation. It has been interesting to see really sick people with some unique stuff going on. It has always interested me as to how the mind can work so in some and so terribly poorly in others. The folks we've been seeing are truely in need of al the care they can get. We have PTSD w/ conversion, schitzo-effective disorder, psychosis w/ delusions and numerous bipolar on top of your run of the mill depression and anxiety. The drawback is that since these folks are so sick there is no chance of me jumping in to monkey around. The other drawback to me is that since I am only working with psychiatrists, I don't get to see any of the couseling aspect of their treatment. We only get symptoms and prescribe/change medications. I guess as a PA I wouldn't be doing any sort of couseling to any extent, but it still interests me more than doling out meds.

The face is back to its normal state. My skin looks better than before I started the fluorouricil treatment in fact. The doc also went in and cut out a lesion I had for a while that was multi-colored and irregulary shaped. It ended up being seborrheic keratosis but I was tired of having people tell me I needed to get it looked at. It is gone now and in its place is an inch-and-a-half long scar that is too fine to really notice. I was hoping to add to my collection of scars but I am afraid this one won't really count.

No comments: