Thursday, October 15, 2009

ME

A few of my patients and "co-workers" have asked me about my background and how I got into PA school. I thought that it would be interesting to show one PA student's qualifications before entering school, mostly in order.

BA - biology
Master health administration
6 yrs firefighter/EMT
EMT/CPR instructor at college and hospital
PT tech 2 years
10 years in Sr. position in health insurance
2 yr volunteer medical assitant in under-served pediatric clinic
1 yr volunteer EMT private ambulance company
1 yr cutting edge job at #1 rated research hospital

My undergrad GPA was 2.8 but my last 100 hrs had a GPA of 3.75 which helped alot. I worked 20-40 hrs a week in college, paid for most of it myself, hated every minute of and couldn't wait to be done with it.

I applied to 10 PA schools, got interviews to 5, was waitlisted at Pacific University and Drexel, accepted to my program and decided to skip the interview at Cornell since I had already been accepted where I really wanted to go and the person I talked to at Cornell was a jerk. It was the first and only year I applied to PA school, which I consider very lucky.

So far my GPA in PA school is 3.65 but I stopped stressing about getting A's the second semester. I failed 2 tests in my first year and rarely aced any. I really enjoyed PA school even though it was very difficult and very stressful. Being in clinical rotations now I don't have to study every night and have a lot more fun than in didactic year. My preceptors have given me a great deal of praise. In just my second rotation I am seeing patients on my own (roughly 10/day) with the preceptor stopping in to see how I did and to hand me signed, blank scripts and referrals. My current preceptor told me he thought I was ready to see half his patients on my own. I disagree, but it is a great compliment nonetheless for a doctor who has been in practice for 35 yrs and has a strong patients base who really love him and the way he treats them.

So enough bragging. I simply like to point out now and then that regular people can succeed in PA school and that it is not just for the type A overachievers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were a firefighter for 6 years? Why did you decide to leave that profession? Just curious.

Thanks!

-p- said...

Poor pay.
No room for advancement.
I wanted to do more in medicine.
Injuries.

Unknown said...

Great blogger,
I am planning to apply for PA school this year (for 2011application). The only thing I haven’t done so far is actually shadowing a PA! I know…but I work in a major teaching hospital and interact with PA/NP, attendee and residents daily as a cytologist (Cytotechnologist). I am really interested to know more about how you balance your school and personal life as a father (Taking kids to day care and helping out your wife in general)?