Thursday, October 1, 2009

Internal Medicine rotation...

So my first week of of my first IM rotation is almost in the books. On Monday my boy took a header at pre-school and knocked in 3 top-front teeth. Later that day we began a 13 hour journey at Children's Hospital because he wouldn't stop throwing up. SO I get home from my first day of IM to greet my beat-up little boy barfing frequently and uncontrollably. Was it from a head injury? Was it the copius volume of blood he had ingested that day? Was it a bug. Well, it took 12 hrs waiting in the room, a couple doses of Zofran, many tests, 15+ episodes of emesis, 5 nurses, 2 ER docs, an hour and a half wait in the waiting room to be triaged and 500mL of IV fluids to feel pretty safe it was just shitty luck and coincidence -and oh yeah, some bug. Today he got the teeth pulled, and I was there by his side for every nasty moment. That kid is tough and resilient. He's back to eating Mac and Cheese despite the severe lac on his gum that the DDS couldn't repair. In fact he is bed now, tlaking and playing, back to his normal self. And I couldn't be happier. IM rotation is going fine. Mostly diabetes and chronic pain. I can write for schedule IIs in my sleep after one week there. The doc is nice and takes time to teach me. He slammed today in front of a patient for recommending Augmentin. He justs hates it and spent 10 minutes expaining to the patient why my suggestion was so bad. Funny, the Peds docs Love it.

No comments: