Tuesday, April 13, 2010

EMERGENCY!!!

Some of the challenges I have faced during my rotation in the ED:

1) Most of the stuff we see there is not an emergency - vomiting x 1 day; diarrhea on and off for 3 days; sinusitis; small lacerations; used up pain meds too soon; ingrown toenail; flu-like illness, etc.

2) People game the system to get pain meds. It gets old quick and I don't have any real compassion for these kinds of addicts. I think they are really crappy people actually. see the youtube video for a humerous yet spot on depiction.

3) Nurses. Some seem to have a problem with students. PA students to be precise. Others don't and that is great.

4) I still don't know sh!t. I am reminded of that constantly.

On the other hand, this has been my most enjoyable rotation - lot's of hands on and the PAs who precept me let me do a lot!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that video. I am a pharmacist. You have no idea how many times people bring in fake CII rx or CII rx from ER every other day. Glad to know that they behave the same way at the ER and at the pharmacy.