Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Hospice

My rotation in hospice is very interesting. We aren't running around doing procedures or doing detailed exams or even prescribing that much medications. We do focus on making the "patient" and their family comfortable, well informed and supported from many different angles. It is such a unique perspective to spend so much time with dying people and their grieving families. I am really just learning how to listen to people and to openly and comfortably discuss death and the process of dying.

The team that I work with is great. They truly work as a team and really get along quite well. The doctor treats me with respect and introduces me as his "colleague, PA Phooey." The PA is also great and is fun to work with. They both take time to teach me about listening and ideals of hospice and palliative care. I am really impressed with this group, as are most all the families who come here and can see why everyone has worked in the same place for so long. Not too many places have such a strong group of providers, nurses, social workers and clergy. I can't recall a place where everyone worked so well together.

I am slowly growing comfortable talking to families of dying patients, but have almost broken up a couple times when visiting with families or dying patients who are still able to communicate. The ones who come in already unresponsive are, for me, a little easier to deal with. It's just hard having a conversation with someone you know won't be alive in week. This is a good experience and will certainly help me help my patients deal with death and dying.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I am considering PA school, and I feel a calling to Hospice after seeing what they did for two of my grandmothers. I was wondering if you could describe a bit more the role of a PA in hospice treatment. I note with disappointment that the state I'll live in (Florida) doesn't seem to allow PAs in hospice care. Is that changing across the nation?

-p- said...

The PA performs much the same role of the doc, consulting at the hospital and seeing patients in the hospice. The doc must sign off on their chart every time due to medicare and in this state PAs can't pronounce deaths. At the hospice I am at the PA worked on her own for few years with a physician group at the hospital signing her charts. No doc on site per se.
Hospice work is more communication than medicine really.