Friday, April 5, 2013

In the groove

It's been a while, a long while since I last wrote anything. I wasn't really feeling it and felt I had said most everything I wanted to say. Days blend into days and months ooze on by. My new job is going well. There are always changes - providers leave for greener pastures, staffing cuts are inflicted and efficiencies are scrutinized. I am seeing 20-30 patients a day and really feel like I know what I am doing. That's not to say I know everything. But I ask questions when I need to and trust my instincts. I can assess back or shoulder injury quickly and correctly and can sew a finger tip and nail back on like that. I can run through an exhaustive and complete physical in under 10 minutes. I still make mistakes but I make sure they are small ones and that they only occur once. I learn from other's knowledge and mistakes and try to make their experience mine to the extent possible. I continue to learn from my patients and take pride when they ask for over the physicians I work with. I am humbled when I overhear my supervising physician tell a patient or employer that I am just as capable and skilled as she is in handling their injury or concern. I am fatigued, annoyed and reinforced when support staff bypass other provider, including senior physicians, to ask a question. I get pissed when I hold others to my own standards - I have given them and myself some room within these standards and this has made my day go much smoother. I am really happy to read the comments on this blog knowing that someone, somewhere has taken away something positive from all of this. In terms of being a PA, I am in the groove and I feel good about that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm in PA school right now. have been for about 6 months. i FUCKING HATE IT. i don't think it has anything to do with my specific program either, though that is a possibility i suppose. it is a living nightmare, i don't feel like i'm learning ANYTHING. just memorize something for minutes at a time, spit it out on a test, and move on at breakneck speed to the next, extremely important topic that we will blow through. my classmates come up with ridiculous tricks to temporarily memorize stuff, only to forget it within days of the exam. I know i want to be a PA, nothing could change that, but i never expected to hate being a PA student as much as i do. i'm so depressed about how little i'm retaining. i excelled in undergraduate studies, which is the only thing keeping me afloat. i'm constantly wishing for this to end. so miserable. there has to be a better way.

PA said...

" ask questions when I need to"..not letting the pride to stay in your way will dally improve your skills.

-p- said...

PA school sucked for me but I was able to why I needed remember the stuff. That's not to say all I was tested on pertained to practice but most of it did. PA school was also fun for me at times. Most of the time is was a lot of work and memorizing stuff that I have forgotten now. You'll need to continue to memorize for the PANCE too. All the rote memorization stinks but if you can hold on till clinicals you will apply a lot of it to caring for your patients.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aml08c said...

Just discovered your blog and I'm excited to start reading from the beginning. I am on the path to becoming a PA and will be applying in fall. Maybe this blog will help me prepare for what i am getting myself into

Unknown said...

Hi i'm Al from Kenya/Africa , wanted to congratulate you on the wonderful stuff here. I know this isn’t the kind of comments you want but I desperately need your help as i want to study medicine but i can’t afford it so am running a crowdfunding campaign on indiegogo in hopes for raising tuition money. Here is a link https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/endeavours-of-a-doctor-to-be/x/8652741 . Any kind of support will be greatly appreciated.

Unknown said...

Hey buddy I just desired to let you know that I really like this piece of writing, keep up the superb work!! writing a paper