Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hospitalist Rotation

I am seeing a bunch of stuff I have never come across on this rotation. A sickle cell crisis, various county jail prisoners, various substance addictions, lots of chronic kidney disease, lots of uncontrolled diabetes,a gut who swallowed a bunch of pencils, lots of dialysis patients and all their complications, HIV, people from far away lands, TB and then your garden variety CHF and COPD.

I graduate in less than a month and am looking to avail to find a job. It is hard because a lot of employers want experience. Add to that the fact that I am not yet certified means no one is returning my calls/emails. Maybe once I get certified things will turn around. I am so tired of the hassle not having money has created between me and my wife. Rather, me not having any money. She makes well into 6 figures however. And never the two shall meet!

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Hey phooey, I've been following your blog for about a month and believe me, you're doing a service to people interested in becoming a PA. I'm one of those 29 yr old male pre- something students that is on the verge of deciding between med school or a PA program. At this rate, it's gonna be PA due to finacial concerns, wanting a family life, and not being thrilled with the whole "indentured servant" life a intern/resident must go through for half a decade. That's all besides the point though.

I will say, your experiences and those my close friend, kenny, are fairly similar. The marital stress was unbearable at times for him but they pulled through. He also was having a hell of a time finding a job. He did though and works as a PA-C at a neurologist's office and loves it(for the most part).

Keep at it my friend and good luck! I look forward to reading more of your experiences as your enter into the workplace.

-p- said...

Jonathan, thanks for the feedback. I am glad I can help those looking into becoming a PA.