Wednesday, April 8, 2009

6 more weeks in the semester

I am continually amazed at how difficult school is and the fact that I continue to progress. I envy my classmates who are single and can study when they please for as long as they please where they please. I envy the fact that they have fewer responsibilities than I do. For some of them school is easier and some are having fun to boot. I've written about how my wife and son have responded to me going to PA school. I wish that I could enjoy the process for what it is. I wish that I didn't feel like complaining as much as I do. I am so glad that I am in PA school and am learning all that I am. I feel that there is so much i don't know, that I don't know enough, that I'll never know enough. I really look forward to the clinical year and applying what I've learned and learning so much more. I look forward to not feeling guilty for sleeping in or playing with my son instead of studying. I look forward to being normal again. I look forward to being a PA.

2 comments:

B. Gansar said...

I have just recently decided to apply to PA school when I graduate in one year. I have a ton of sciences to do before then so that I have all of the pre-reqs to allow me to apply. I was wondering how you did in your pre-reqs and if you had any hospital experience before getting into PA school. Also, what school are you going to? Are there better ones than others?

-p- said...

When I first took my pre-reqs in the early 90's, I didn't know I wanted to go Pa school and didn't do great in a few of them. I re-took A&P I & II, Micro, and few others and got all A's. I was an EMT on a fire department for 6 years, worked as a PT tech in a nursing home, volunteered on an an ambulance and in an under served clinic and had 10 years in health insurance and a year in a high profile research job. In my opinion, the best school is the one that fits you the best. They all have to teach to the same standards to be accredited so you have to weigh in location, costs, affiliations and so on to determine which school will work best for you.